- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ pounds beef stew meat, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 yellow sweet onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 10 cups beef bone broth or stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 pound diced Roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Once Dutch oven is hot, brown the beef in the oil and butter. Once the meat is evenly browned, add the onions and garlic. Cook the onions and garlic until they are tender and begin to caramelize.
Add carrots, celery, broth, barley and bay leaf. Bring to gentle simmer and allow to cook until barley and vegetables are tender. Stir often and add water if soup begins to get too thick.
Once the vegetables and barley are tender, add the tomatoes and fresh herbs and cook for another 45 minutes to an hour.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with crusty sourdough bread.