- 1½ pounds chicken breasts, with skin and bones
- 2 ribs celery, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 2 thyme sprigs, or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 quarts reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, such as shiitakes, oyster and baby bellas, sliced (see Market Note)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon dried crushed dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 ounces short, wide egg noodles
- ⅓ cup half-and-half
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs or 2 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish, optional
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
MAKE AHEAD Partially • PREP TIME 20 minutes • START-TO-FINISH 2 hours
Add All The Ingredients for the Extra-Rich Homemade Stock to a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer until the chicken is very tender when pierced with a sharp knife, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove The Chicken from the broth and set aside to cool. Strain the broth, pressing down on the vegetables to release as much juice as possible; discard the vegetables. You should get 8 cups; if not, add enough water to make that amount. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and bones and cut into ½-inch cubes. (Chicken and broth can be prepared one day ahead; cool, cover and refrigerate.)
For The Soup, remove 1 cup of the broth and place it along with the vermouth in a small saucepan set over high heat. Cook until the mixture has reduced by half. Set aside.
Heat The Butter and oil in a large pot set over medium heat. When hot, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and rosemary and stir 1 minute more.
Sprinkle The Flour over the mushrooms and stir constantly to cook the flour, 1½ to 2 minutes. Add the remaining 7 cups broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Add the noodles and cook until tender according to package directions, (see Cooking Tip).
Stir In The Diced Chicken, the reduced vermouth mixture and the half-and-half. Cook until hot, 4 to 5 minutes. Taste and season the soup with more salt and pepper if needed.
Ladle Soup Into Bowls. If desired, garnish each serving with a rosemary sprig or chopped parsley. Pass the Parmesan cheese in a bowl for sprinkling.
Market Note: Some grocery stores sell packages of mixed, sliced mushrooms including shiitakes, baby bellas and oysters. This is a convenient way to buy them. If unavailable, use 4 to 6 ounces shiitakes (stems removed and mushrooms sliced) and 4 to 6 ounces baby bellas (trimmed and sliced through the stems).
Cooking Tip: When this soup is made several hours or a day ahead, the noodles sometimes absorb more of the liquid and make the soup thicker. Thin it with some purchased chicken broth if you like.
Recipe reprint from Soup Nights courtesy of Rizzoli Press. Recipe by Betty Rosbottom.
About this recipe
Recipe reprint from Soup Nights courtesy of Rizzoli Press. Recipe by © Betty Rosbottom.