- 2½ cups cooked white quinoa, room temperature
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 cup bread crumbs (can substitute gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook quinoa following directions on package, then let cool to room temperature. Whisk eggs together and combine with quinoa and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in chives, shallot, lemon zest and juice, cheese and garlic. Add bread crumbs and let sit for 5 minutes.
Form 1-inch thick cakes the size of your palm with quinoa batter. If mixture is too wet to shape, add more bread crumbs, or vice versa if too dry, until desired consistency is achieved.
Heat olive oil in a nice, heavy skillet. Fry 6 cakes at a time, covering and cooking for about 7–10 minutes per side until nicely browned.
Cool on a wire rack and enjoy hot or cold.