- 1 roasted chicken
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado oil (or any high-heat cooking oil you prefer, or butter)
- 1 pound fresh tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut into ¼-inch quarters
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- ½ seeded jalapeño
- 8 stems cilantro sprigs, chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 dozen yellow corn tortillas
- 1½ cups crumbled queso fresco
- Mexican crema or sour cream
Chicken: Prepare chicken filling. Shred meat from chicken and set aside. Sauté in 1 tablespoon cooking oil or butter chopped onion and garlic until translucent. Add chicken to onions and set aside.
Salsa Verde: Combine all ingredients in food processor. Purée until smooth. Add water, if needed. Salt to taste and set aside with chicken.
Enchiladas: Preheat oven to 375°. To prep the tortillas, heat canola oil in small saucepan. Using tongs, place tortillas 1 at a time in hot oil. Tortilla should bubble on contact. Heat tortillas about 10 seconds per side and drain on paper towels.
Assemble tortillas in a 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Spread about ¾ cups of salsa verde. Take a tortilla and add about 1½ tablespoons chicken to tortilla with a teaspoon of salsa verde and roll up.
Place seam side down in pan right next to each other. Spoon the remaining salsa verde over the top. Sprinkle with ½ of the cheese. Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with remaining cheese and dot with crema. May serve with chopped onion, lime wedge or avocado, if desired.